A group of men headed by a Dr. Benneville Yeakel Shelly marked their claim to an area on the banks of the Missouri.
A steam sawmill was brought to Niobrara from St. Louis by the steamer “Omaha” and was immediately put into operation.
The new town had a population was said to be about 500.
The spring thaw produced one of the largest Missouri River floods on record.
Just as the Missouri River was responsible for the original settlement of Niobrara, it was also responsible for the first move.
The first school house was built.
The first waterworks system which was supplied by an artesian well completed.
Construction of an electric light plant is finished.
The railroad comes to Niobrara.
The county seat was moved from Niobrara to a new central location in the newly formed town of Center.
The land on which the park was built was given to the village for a park in 1881 by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
The village operated the park until approximately 1930 when it was given to the State of Nebraska.
The mighty Missouri again invaded Niobrara in April of 1952 and much of the town and the surrounding area was flooded.
A big event of the 1950’s was the Centennial Celebration of June 16 – 17, 1956.
By 1969, community officials began to look for solutions for additional flooding concerns.
Funds were appropriated by Congress to pay a sizable portion of the cost of the move. Site preparation began in September of 1973 and was completed in April of 1974.
By the end of 1977, the move was nearly completed.